Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Nerdy

I majored in biology with a minor in chemistry. Hubster double majored in mathematics and physics. We are both in health care related fields. Our favorite game to play together is Trivial Pursuit.  We have more textbooks in our house than we do movies.

We're nerds.

And not only are we completely okay with that, we are raising our children to be nerds.

Hubster and the boys spend an entire evening constructing a home made battery.

Our idea of a fun weekend activity is creating a baking soda volcano.


Our favorite outings involve museums.


We bought the boys Venus fly traps instead of candy for Valentine's Day. We regularly catch flies and feed them to the plants and talk about photosynthesis and how this is different.

Family movie night is actually usually family Discovery Channel show night.

We read as a family all the time, and not just fiction. We read books about animals, lightening, and space.



Between the conversations about cloud shapes and weather, the differences between butterflies and moths, the fact that there really are imaginary numbers, we are doing a pretty good job of raising our own little nerds.

And I wouldn't have it any other way.

3 comments:

  1. Hee! We just went through a volcano phase at our house, trying different methods like Mento in coke, baking soda combinations, etc. to simulate eruptions. I'm not so sure it was about a love for science--my kids (and, ahem, HUSBAND) just like to blow up things ; )

    I love how your boys read nonfiction picture books--awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! This is definitely something to be proud of. Teaching them early on that science and math are fun is really just setting them up for success later in life. I think it's awesome.

    Oh, and I was at Disneyland the other day and say a little boy that looked EXACTLY like your Monkey. I kept looking for his mom to see if it was you. It wasn't. I was sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfectly perfect! You are great parents and have two very smart boys. Oh, and I love your quote.

    ReplyDelete