Friday, August 17, 2012

Poolside

If you are going to try to make a summer the best summer ever, one of the absolutely essential things that summer must have is swimming.  A lot of swimming.

My original plan had been to enroll the boys in swimming lessons, but due to a lack of planning on my part and the overwhelming popularity of swimming lessons, the lessons were booked by the time I thought to sign them up.

I knew that this summer, Hubster would be home with the boys quite a bit.  I wanted to do everything I could to encourage them to do activities together, and, yes, to swim.  So, for Father's Day, I bought Hubster/all of us a swimming pass to the local pool.

This may have been the best thing I have ever purchased.  Not having to think about paying every time we went swimming, we found ourselves poolside at least every other day nearly all summer.  There were weeks that Hubster took the boys swimming every day.


I watched my boys turn from scared, pale little things, to tan-lined brave fish.  Granted, Monkey still needs arm floats and Bug still hates getting water in his eyes/ears/nose and insists on wearing ear plugs and a full snorkel mask.  But none of us cared. 


Nearly half the days this summer were spent applying sunscreen and then splashing, diving, racing around the pool.



This is definitely how summer should be.

4 comments:

  1. Oh! How fun! I thought about getting a pool pass this summer but then I thought about all the crazy kids splashing me the whole time I was there! Glad you had a great summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love these pictures of the quintessential summer activity! Jack just started swim lessons this week! It's pretty cute...thanks for stopping by my blog earlier :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are big swimmers, too. Punky is obsessed with swimming, and Flintstone loves it. He has a swimsuit with foam in it and can swim like a little fish all on his own already. Which terrifies me. I'm afraid he'll jump in the water without it on one day!

    Those are great pictures, especially the slide one. I'm glad the pool pass worked out so well for you!

    On and unrelated note: Karen (A Peek at Karen's World) is also reading Harry Potter, and I've been listening to it audio when I run. Hmmm...

    Sorry I haven't been around. I'm trying to get back into the swing of things now. I've missed you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We took in almost every Friday evening this summer for a swim at the college pool. Wonderful times. It was a brilliant idea to get your family the pool pass. I think you've definitely made it a most memorable summer ever!

    ReplyDelete