Saturday, September 26, 2009

Play Space

I have a day off today, and am doing my best to not think about what happened at work this week.

So I'm going to get back to what's gone on at home. Because my life involves just as much paint, plaster, and finish nails as it does IV fluids, blood, and lab results.

Probably the biggest change in our house has been our family room.

When we first moved in, this room was terrible. Damp carpet, with moldy tack strips and carpet pad underneath. Seriously disgusting.


Now, it is probably the most used room in the house. Which is funny, considering it doesn't have any furniture.

The first thing to do was remove the disgusting carpet and seal the walls to prevent any more water from coming in. The last thing I ever want to see is more of this...

Worst new home owner surprise: Water damage and mold!

Then Hubster showed his brilliant construction skills and installed a new raised subfloor and the same Pergo that we have since installed in the kitchen. How fast this all happened was mind boggling. Less than two days from carpet out to Pergo in. Amazing.


The walls are the same creamy color as the kitchen. I thought about doing a darker accent wall on the fireplace wall. But when I mentioned it, Hubster gave me that look. So no accent wall.

However, the ceiling is blue. I love the blue ceiling. At first, you almost don't notice it, but when you do, it's hard not to smile. It adds such a playful, fun touch.

This room is truly a family room, meaning a place for the boys to play. So toy storage is a priority. The storage shelf is from IKEA. And I love the red accents.


BEFORE:




AFTER:


Notice the blue ceiling?

We plan on adding more red accents. Some red bean bag chairs for the boys. A row of Mondrian prints to the wall.

I love the idea of Modrian prints,
because of the primary colors and
the linear lines echoing the storage unit.

Oh, and a couch. We've already found one we love. A comfy chocolate brown one that even Hubster loves. Now we just have to wait for the red maple in the front yard to start growing money.

We've installed new oak plank stairs that (nearly) match the Pergo.

We are going to tile around the fireplace, hopefully next month. And add a big beautiful white mantle, perfect for Christmas stockings.

I wish I could say that the room is still clean, and organized, and full of simple lines and red accents. But like I said before, it is a true family room. A true play room. So it spends most of its time looking like two boys and no parents live here.

4 comments:

  1. This reminds me of something I'd see on one of those remodel TV shows, like Trading Spaces. Incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking of one of those trading spaces show also.
    I also was thinking of our family room with the pergo floor. I do miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Katherine! I love it!

    That looks like a room I'D like to play in!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The last picture was the best! I had to smile, it had such a well-loved place, feeling! By the way, the stairs are great!!!

    P.S. With your combined skills and imagination you make everything look fabulous, money tree or not!

    ReplyDelete