Tuesday, May 20, 2014

A Bad Case of Wanderlust

I'm starting to get some seriously itchy feet. The open road, some remote tropical beach, unknown cities - they are all calling my name.

I've always wanted to travel. When I make a bucket list, nearly every item on that list involves traveling. I can't think of a single place that I wouldn't love to visit and learn more about. Greenland, the Middle East, the Sahara, Siberia. Sure, I'd go there.

I've got my dream locations. Italy, the Virgin Islands, Australia, Thialand, Belize, Egypt, Greece, China. But honestly, I'd be happy going anywhere, just as long as I'm going.

I often feel that I've never been anywhere. Obviously, that's not true. Just because I've never been anywhere that required a passport doesn't mean that I haven't traveled. I've been to Vancouver Island, the Bahamas, and almost half of the US states. 



But there is so much more to see.

For the last several years, we've been significantly restrained by tight budgets and even tighter schedules.  But I didn't let that stop us from exploring. We've visiting many local spots, as many state parks and forests and sites as I can find. We've visited nearly every major city within a day's drive from us.  Traveling doesn't have to be expensive or exotic. Our boys have loved our trips to tube down rivers, to explore caves, to hike through forests, see historic places. 


But now that I have a little more time on my hand, the rest of the world is starting to call a little louder. 

I spend ridiculous amounts of time planning island get aways, researching cities in Europe, checking ticket prices to Africa. I know exactly which beach house I want to in Hawaii.

All those trips are still just day dreams. With Hubster still in training, the miniscule dent we've made in my student loans, and three small children, my world tour can't start just yet.

This summer, however, we have two whole glorious weeks of vacation, all of us off at the same time. And I know just what we'll do. We'll pack the mini van to bursting, open the road atlas, and hit the open road, traveling through states we've never been to, hiking through forests, eating local foods, finding beaches to play on.  



Unknown places are calling to me, and I'm going to answer.

8 comments:

  1. Oooh, that sounds like fun! You probably could benefit from a cruise that takes you to multiple locations for a few hours at each place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely want to do a cruise in the future. I'm waiting until the baby is a little bit older. Being on a boat with a onery toddler doesn't sound like fun right at the moment.

      Delete
  2. I love this post! And I love that you're going to go on a nice, lengthy vacation and explore new places.

    One of these years, though, you really need to bring those boys to Disneyland!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are doing Disney World this trip. Not quite the same thing, but hopefully they still enjoy it.

      Delete
  3. You're going to have a BLAST! I love traveling. I've been to Hawaii and Alaska (I liked Alaska better, go figure), Canada (both coasts) and Mexico (I liked Canada better). And I agree with Karen, the boys should go to Disneyland sometime. They'd love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hawaii and Alaska are both on my list. Everyone who has been to Alaska loved it.

      Delete
  4. We were just talking about planning our next vacation! There is so much of the United States that I haven't seen and I'm always itching to travel, even if it's just a small road trip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pinterest is my downfall where I plan exotic and extremely expensive trips that I will probably never be able to go on, but I like you plan - we do that on day trips. Just get in the car and drive until we get to somewhere we have never been - spend the day - then head back. We call them adventure days! I still have not seen all there is to see where I live! Love your spirit!

    ReplyDelete