Monday, April 27, 2015

Overheard

When it comes to baby books, I'm the stereotypical parent. My oldest had a beautiful baby book, all the pictures and page layouts carefully done, all the details meticulously documented. That went clear until he was two.

Then I started medical school, a few years later, had another baby, then residency, then another baby. That was pretty much the end of that. Not a single picture has been  put in a photo album for 10 years.

I don't really regret it, because there are tons of pictures. Those pictures play as a slide show as our computer's screen saver, and we look at them all the time. And I keep telling myself I'll get around to those baby books...eventually...when no one is a baby anymore.

The one thing I do regret is that I don't write down all their little conversations and silly quotes. I love those so much and no matter how I try to remember, I end up forgetting.

...........

Overheard in the back seat of the minivan:

Monkey: I hate this song.
Bug: You hate most songs. You only like maybe 5 songs. If it isn't one of those 5 songs, you hate it.
Monkey: Well...I'm thinking of adding a sixth.


.........

Overheard in the backyard, while boys were setting up croquet set:

Duck (swinging the croquet mallet down on the the wicket): Hi, ho, hi, ho...(in his best Dumbo impression of the workers setting up the tent.)


.........

After calling him multiple times to come up to the table for dinner:

Monkey: Mom, do you know what would better? If you said, 'Get up to the table, Buster!'



...........

Checking out books at the library, suggesting different books and genres he might like:

Bug: Yeah, Mom, I already know that graphic novels and dystopian literature is. I'm not in elementary school anymore.



...........

After our house was staged to be put on the market:

Bug: I hope our house sells fast.
Me: Why? I thought you didn't want to move.
Bug: I hate keeping it this clean. And I hate all the art work.

.............

This morning, getting Duck out of his crib:

Duck (big, beaming smile): It's a beautiful day! I slept so good!



.............

This was a little bit ago, but still too cute to not write down:

Monkey: Mom, why would anyone live in New Hampster?


6 comments:

  1. I love the funny things kids say! These are some great ones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am always laughing at things my kids say. They don't alway appreciate it. ;)

      Delete
  2. Oh you need to post these more often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should, because I know there are more, I just can't remember them!

      Delete
  3. Those are awesome! I agree, you should post more! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to start keeping track better, so that I can remember them to post them here.

      Delete