Friday, July 26, 2013

Solo

My family recently returned after being gone for 10 days.  Hubster, Bug, Monkey, and Duck when cross country to visit Hubster's family. 10 days is much longer than any other time I have been away from any of them.

I had the whole house to myself. And it was completely bizarre. The house would be clean when I went to work, and would still be clean when I returned. I cooked what ever I wanted for dinner, adding exotic ingredients like peas, mushrooms, and alfalfa sprouts. And nobody complained or whined or threw a fit over having to eat such things. I went to bed as soon as I got tired. Granted, that was 6:30 in the evening one day, but no one objected. I slept through the night each night. No one woke me up or crawled in bed with me or tried to sleep on my head. When I studied or watched a TV show, no one interrupted or yelled or changed the channel on me. No one left the lights on or the door open or syrup all over the kitchen table.

And do you know what?

I absolutely hated it.

Hats off to you single people.  I have no idea how you do it.  And I mean that completely sincerely.

I like to think of myself as a responsible, reliable person.  Hubster was giving me a list of things I needed to do while he was gone.

Hubster: You'll have to take the garbage out on Monday evenings.
Me: Okay, I can do that.
Hubster: And the recycling. But remember, you'll have to sort it first.
Me: Okay...
Hubster: And check the mail every day.
Me: Sure. I can remember that.
Hubster: And you'll have to actually look at the mail. And if there are bills, you need to see when they are due. If they are due when I'm gone, you'll need to pay them.
Me: Oh...
Hubster: And don't forget to feed the fish. Everyday.
Me: This list is getting very long.
Hubster: And please don't run out of gas.

The man speaks from experience.

It turns out, I'm actually completely helpless. This checking the mail and paying bills and putting gas in my car: these were things that apparently weren't happening all on their own.

What it really amounts to is that Hubster takes excellent care of me and has covered so many things so that I can focus on work and the boys and overly involved monthly meal plans. He's covered the loose ends so frequently and so well that I almost take it for granted now.

My boys returned home a couple of days ago.

Things are back to how they were.  The house is messy. There are crumbs and sticky messes and Legos everywhere. I'm tired from being woken up because someone had a bad dream or needs a drink or just can't sleep. Evenings are stressful trying to get everyone fed and in pajamas and in bed at a reasonable time.

And I wouldn't have it any other way.

4 comments:

  1. Well, a lot of those things you posted are my favorite parts of living alone! But then, I've never been with a man who did all those things your husband does! Maybe that would be different.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love being alone. For a while. I don't think I could live with someone 24/7, but 24/6 would work. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are good and bad to both. I've always longed for the messes and the Legos and the noise and chaos. Maybe some day. But I'm glad you have it back, safe and sound.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate being alone, and I hope someday I get all those things you have. And I'm glad your needs are met and being taken care of, that is a huge blessing not everyone has.

    ReplyDelete