Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Jack-O-Lanterns

Or is it Jack O'Lanterns? Jackolanterns? I'm not sure.

As a young family, we don't have a lot of traditions.

But one that we do have is carving pumpkins and trying to out-do the pumpkin carving that took place last year.


Okay, that's actually Hubster's tradition. My tradition is to find a pattern that I think I can carve in less than 15 minutes.

I think we were both successful.

So, here, for your viewing pleasure, are the pumpkins for 2010

And be sure to catch the pumpkins of years past: 2009, 2008, and even earlier (2008 is my favorite!)

There is of course, my pumpkin (yeah for me for not choosing flowers, a theme I've fallen back on for several years!)

Maleficent from Sleeping Beauty

And then we always let the boys pick our patterns for their pumpkins. Which Hubster gets to carve. Because my attention span is shot by this time.

Monkey wanted everything...a tiger! a lion! Curious George! Batman! He finally settled on this...Rocket from Little Einsteins.

We're going on a trip, in our favorite rocket ship...

Bug went with his newest favorite item: Perry the Platypus from Phineas and Ferb.

It's Perry! Perry the Platypus...!

(It's okay if you don't know anything about either of this shows. It actually probably means that you're normal, or that your children watch much more educational television than ours do.)

Hubster, who has seriously mad skills when it comes to carving pumpkins, had unfortunately limited selection. Most pumpkin pattern websites have limited what patterns they have, unless you want to buy them. Which we don't, because we are cheap. However, he found one that he thought would challenge him. It must have, since it was 1 am when he woke me up to come and look.

E=mc2

I'm telling you, the man had mad skills!

Now, the pumpkins are Vaseline-d up, and proudly displayed on our porch.

On of the best things about this tradition...I don't have to find storage space for them.

Visit Leigh vs Laundry for The Happiness Project and post a picture of something that makes you happy!

Photobucket

8 comments:

  1. Seriously mad skills.

    I can barely make a lopsided smiley face. It's for the best, really, since it's dangerous to give me a knife anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! Your pumpkins are amazing ! I have never seen anything like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mad skills is putting it mildly!

    Every time I try to cut an apple, people take the knife out of my hand and do it for me. I can only imagine what they'd do if I had a pumpkin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really!? Those are amazing! Those look professionally done. Seriously...I'm impressed. Your boys must LOVE those!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the carvings! Such a fun tradition! My nephew loves Phineas and Ferb. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Impressive. I have an impressive Magnificent costume that my aunt made me. I might wear it again this year.

    LisaDay

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are amazing! Especially the Einstein one. I'm very impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the perry the platypus one. very cool.

    ReplyDelete