Thursday, January 19, 2012

Just A Virus

We are now day five of Monkey being sick.

Poor thing. He's been running fevers, hardly eating anything except popcicles, and today developed a deep hacking cough. It's been exhausting. For all of us. This is the first time he has been sick this school year, but he has made up for months of perfect health with a vengeance.

I hadn't taken him to the pediatrician, because after 7 years of medical training, I feel that I'm just as good at saying "It's just a virus" as the next person. But when his fever spiked again to 103 today, instead of starting to trend down as I had hoped, I made an appointment at the acute care clinic.

Only my car wouldn't start. Out of the blue, in the car we have never had any trouble with. I've rescheduled and he will be seen first thing in the morning.

Until then, there will be another long day and night of me worrying over him. Every diagnostic possibility lurks in the back of my mind. This is what being a doctor does to you. I keep thinking Is it ear infections? Is it a UTI? Is this turning into pneumonia? His fevers are getting high and he says his leg hurts. Does he have a septic joint or osteomyelitis? Oh my gosh, what if this is the start of symptoms and my baby has leukemia?!

Obviously, it is easy for me to overreact and build myself up into a differential diagnosis frenzy.

Right now, he is sleeping in my bed, tucked under the covers, curtains drawn, and he is resting. There will be encouraging fluids when he is awake and Tylenol if he gets too uncomfortable. He'll be just fine.


I'm sure this is just a virus.

10 comments:

  1. Sometimes I think ignorance really is bliss.

    I hope he gets well fast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry he's so sick--you know it's bad when it knocks out the most active. Poor guy. I hope he gets better soon, and you can also stop fretting. That's the worst.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are some nasty viruses going around. I hope he feels better.

    LisaDay

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor little Monkey. Sounds like he's in good hands. Hope he is feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ignorance really is bliss...until I start googling things. Then I'm ignorant AND panicked! Hope he's better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Poor little guy! He's got a great mommy to take care of him and give him lots of love. :) My little one has the same thing and he's been crying and whining like crazy (well, he's only 18 months), and now we are all sick. :( We took him to the doc and she said it was just a virus. Nasty virus! Hope you don't get sick.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww, so sorry he is sick. That virus is going around...it sounds like what I had and it lasted 2 weeks. Hope it passes soon and everyone can rest well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohhhh, I am sorry to hear this. Hope he's feeling better soon, and that somehow, the rest of the family will miraculously escape coming down with it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Been awhile since your last post. De-lurking to say that I hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Its horrible knowing all the things that can go wrong, then being ina flield where you see all day the things that do. I am also impressed that you are sane enough over the top of concern and anxiety to know it will be okay at last.Put an extra kiss on that forehead for me. HUGS!!!!!

    ReplyDelete