Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Music To My Ears

Growing up, my parents had a requirement that all us children learned to play a musical instrument. Most of us started on the piano, but our lessons grew to include the flute, the guitar, the violin, the trumpet, the cello, and the drums.

While I'm pretty sure my dad an ulterior motive that may have included visions of a modern von Trapp Family Singers, I always appreciated the opportunity my parents gave us to learn music. It opened another side of my brain that may have otherwise been completely suffocated by all the math and biology I later stuffed in there.

Several months ago, Bug brought home a paper from his school which stated the school would be starting orchestra lessons. I felt hesitant, as my default mode is to avoid anything that may add more stress to our schedules. But I thought of my parents, and how much I appreciated the music lessons (yes, even when my mom was forcing me to play Fur Elise one more time, I still appreciated it.) I asked Bug what instrument he wanted to play.

The violin.

Less than a week later, we had rented a violin, purchased music books and a music stand and he was taking lessons.


Each day, I get to hear him play his way through "Old MacDonald" and "Twinkle Little Star" and "Good King Wenceslas," complete with squeaks and wrong notes and timing that is just a little off. It is music to my ears. When the stray thought comes up that I have had enough of the violin for one day, I think of how often my own parents listened uncomplaining to other awkward attempt at "Three Blind Mice."


Each day he improves. And he is the happiest little violinist, practicing each day without complaint and often without reminder.


His first concert is next week. This mommy is going to be bursting with pride as she listens to elementary students meticulously play through each song.

Each time I hear the metal clicking of the music stand being put together and the first squeak of the bow across the strings, I get a small flash back to my childhood, a childhood filled with music. Now there is music in my house, and I love it.

10 comments:

  1. Awesome! I play the violin and I know it was difficult for my parents to listen to at first, but totally worth it in the end when the music scholarships started coming in and they didn't have to help me with college.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is terrific! Be proud that you said YES to this one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so wonderful! I'm so happy for you guys. We have been talking about putting Punky in piano lessons for YEARS, but haven't pulled it off yet. Scheduling. Nightmare.

    But I want it for her so bad. We've also given her a whole slew of instruments from keyboards to recorders. They only hold her interest for a couple weeks. I'll have to look into piano lessons again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's wonderful to be able to play an instrument. My whole family is musical, but I never learned to play anything. I was in choir, but it's not the same.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this. And I really believe that he'll love you for it, too. Music gave me a place to fit in during some really hard years--I hope he finds the same place. You are a great mom for saying yes to this one.

    And I will totally be that same proud (probably tearing up) mom at my kids' first concerts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I still hit the wrong notes. I am happy Bug has found something he loves. Enjoy the concert.

    LisaDay

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the violin. I was so excited when our 2nd granddaughter Madeleine wanted to take lessons. I immediately offered to rent the instrument (not that they needed me to, I just wanted to). It was so little and she was so cute. Alas, it wasn't meant to be but at least she gave it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sure takes me back to the days when I played the flute. in fact, I recently started burning with the urge to play again, so I'm digging out my old flute, cleaning it up, and getting back to playing not-so-great music.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a post that makes me want to dance! Way to go, Mom, Dad, and yes, especially Bug. I'm amazed he knew what his instrument is so clearly, the first time. Its a perfect fit!

    ReplyDelete
  10. lots of instrument of music which we use to increase violin skill because violin skill is one of the best for every musician.

    ReplyDelete