Friday, January 8, 2010

To Do List

The last week has been crazy. Crazy I tell you.

I'm beginning to think I should have given myself just a little more time to study for boards. At the time (meaning January 4) 16 days seemed like plenty of time. Now, on January 8, 12 days seems no where near long enough.

But even with my attempt at a rigorous study schedule, I didn't want to miss the chance to jump on the bandwagon. At least the ride is nice.

Karen and Jennee have started a weekly feature to help those of us who make resolutions actually keep them. And what better way to join in than to actually post my resolutions.

I looked over my last year's resolutions. And I'm giving myself a big fat F for the last year. Not that the year was a failure, by any means. 2009 marked an incredibly exciting year for this little family. But my resolutions feel by the wayside somewhere in Wyoming, I think.

One of the problems is that they were rather vague. "Be a better person" and "eat better" are all well and good. But what do they really mean?

Goals also have to be realistic. I may resolve to eat more vegetables, but to resolve that I'm going to grow all my own food is just signing myself up for failure. I can say I want to exercise one hour every day. But between overnight call and kids (and board study, don't let me forget that's what I should be doing) it just isn't going to happen.

I still really want to accomplish everything that was on my list last year.

But I'm going to be a little more specific this year.

I'm also going to make it a "To-Do" list, with little check boxes. The rest of my life is that way, why not my goals.

So here it is.

2010 To-Do list:

-The perennial goal to lose weight. I'm going to divide it up this year. I plan on losing 5 pounds by May 1st, then another 5 pounds by September 1st. After that, we get into the holiday season, so I will try to maintain over the fall/winter.

-Be able to touch my toes. I just realized last week I can't do this anymore.

-Get my passport. I know! I don't have a passport. I've never been anywhere that required one. My out of the country experience has consisted of Vancouver Island, Tijuana, and the Bahamas. I don't have plans to go out of the country this year, but one can never be too prepared.

-Date night with Hubster. Hubster and I, while we have a great relationship, are rather notorious for letting ourselves slide way down the priority totem pole. Between the seemingly never-ending school/residency, the boys, and the daily chores, we seem to never find dedicated "us" time. We watch movies together and talk at the dinner table (between interruptions about dropped silverware and too much salt). But we don't designate time specifically for us. We plan on changing that just a little this year. We're starting little. Date night once a month. Baby-sitters are still rather hard to come by. If we can't find one, we're at least going to put the kids to bed early, get take out from our favorite restaurant, and take the time to refocus on being together.

-Pass the boards the first time.

-Use my crock pot (at least) once a month.

-Finish moving in. There are still five boxes in the garage that have not even been touched. I will have them emptied (or at least moved) before June 1st. (A year after we move is a good deadline to be moved in, right?)

-Finish moving into this blog. I will focus on this the last week of January. After boards are over. I'm a little distracted by that if you didn't notice.

I'll touch bases now and then (maybe not weekly. What with the whole "sustainability" thing and all.) Maybe I'll even get ambitious and make a list for my side bar. But would be just another thing on the "to-do" list to be checked off.

3 comments:

  1. Best.

    Resolutions.

    EVER.

    Good luck, girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are awesome resolutions. Thank you so much for sharing!

    And good luck with those boards! I'm sure you'll do great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by our blog! These are great resolutions. I wonder if I can touch my toes?

    ReplyDelete