Friday, May 28, 2010

Blog Love

I've been a terrible blog friend the last several months.

I've received awards, and haven't acknowledged them at all. I'd like to say I've been busy, but that excuse only carries so far. But believe me, I'm going to milk it for all it's worth.

My deficiency in acknowledging awards does not correlate at all with my excitement in getting them. It makes my day.

So, I'm going to step up and be efficient!

Gina sent this darling blog award my way.


The rules for this show of blog love is to share 10 things I love.

1. Summer. I can not get over how much I love that it is warm outside. That the sun is up before I leave for work and is still up when I leave for home. That we can run around in bare feet. This is my favorite time of year!

2. My new dress. This deserves its very own post. But I have a new found love of dresses.

3. Pink toenails. I let my toenails go au natural during the winter months when my feet were constantly covered with thick socks and boots. But with the warm weather comes sandals and flip flops. So I'm back to my pink nails. And I smile every time I see them.

4. Lists. There is nothing that brings the same satisfaction as making a list and then getting to cross things off of it. Lists make me feel organized, efficient, and thorough. It may just be a mirage, but at least while I'm making my list and crossing things off it, that's how I feel.

5. Farmer's markets. It's that time of year again. I love strolling past all the vendors, looking at the vegetables and flowers and fresh breads. I love seeing things like rhubarb, and purple asparagus, and organic arugula and buying what is available and coming home and being inspired by what I bought.

6. Dusk. There is nothing like dusk in the summer. We get the boys out of the house and stroll down the sidewalk, talking, catching up on the day, and enjoying that beautiful, transient time of day.

7. Peeps. I think this stems from my love of marshmallows in general. But I love Peeps. Not only are they marshmallows, but they are cute shapes in different colors. And now they have them for almost every holiday, not just Easter!

8. Antique stores. Oh, I love antique stores. Even if I don't end up buying anything, I usually just have to pop in and look. It feels like things I get from an antique store for my home just mean more than things I get from a chain store. And since the items usually require a little elbow grease, it also feels very personal.

9. The smell of my boys coming after a bath. Okay, it's true. There are times, no matter how clean they are, that little boys just have a smell somewhat reminiscent of wet dog. I don't understand this at all. But after a bath, when the smell of daycare and the classroom and the cardboard box fort have been washed away, the smell of their clean hair just makes me feel all soft inside.

10. The beach. Just give me a beach. I'm not really that picky. It's my favorite place in the world. I always thought I would end up living by one...and now I live in Iowa.

I'm going to pass this award onto...

Julie at He Who Laughs Last
Rita at Fighting Off Frumpy
Leigh at Leigh vs Laundry
Crissy at Life as a CEO
Heather at Theta Mom


I received this from Kim, longer ago than I can admit.


For this, I'm supposed to list 5 things I love. I'm going to make this 5 different things, just to make this harder on myself, and realize why procrastination never pays.

1. Mangoes. I think I avoided this fruit for a very long time because of a bad experience or impression as a child. I can't even remember the details. But now, I feel like I can't get enough. Fresh mangoes, mango juice, and dried mangoes. Yum, yum, yum!

2. Post It Notes. This things are great. I've got three stacks of different colors on my desk right now. I write random thoughts and just slap them on the wall...silly things the boys say, thoughts for posts, quotes I love. Then, when I have time, I can take them down. No tape, no giant sheet of paper. Just pure brilliance.

3. Scrub hats. Okay, I don't actually have any yet. I'm in the process of ordering them for when I start back in the operating room in July. But I'm sure in love with the idea of scrub hats. Not only do they come in nearly any darling pattern I want, no one will ever see my hair at work again!

4. Hydrangeas. These are by far my favorite flower. I had them at my wedding. And the great thing about Iowa is they actually grow here. I haven't planted any yet, due to the yard still needing some landscaping before the plants go in. But I've already picked out the perfect place.

5. Popcorn. Yes, I realize that this is the third food I've mentioned so far, but I'm convinced there is no better snack than popcorn. It's versatile, it's cheap, it's quick to make. And it's just down right delicious. In fact, I'm going to go make some as soon as I hit publish.

I'm passing this one to these great bloggy friends

Karen at A Peek at Karen's World
Gina at Namaste By Day
Colleen at Cheap Wine and Cookies
Brittany at Molly Lou Gifts
Sandy at It's a Jungle Out There

From Brittany, one of my newest blogging friends, came this blog award.


This one asks that I share 7 things about myself. Whew, this is turning into a lot of work. But, after all the blog love I've received, it's really hard to complain. It would be like complaining that my wallet is too small for my hundreds and my diamond shoes are too tight! (Bonus if you know the reference!)

1. Once I start a book, it is next to impossible for me to put it down. It doesn't matter what other things I have to do, how busy I am, how late it is. I just can't stop reading until the book is done. I have no ability to pace myself or make the book last longer.

2. On the other hand, I have no ability to stay awake during movies. I don't think I've seen the end of a movie in, oh, probably years. In fact, I haven't really seen that many middles of movies either. This drives Hubster crazy. But, seriously, I'm really tired, and holding still and relaxing in front of the TV is sleep inducing.

3. I have such a strong dislike of doing dishes that it prevents me from cooking. I actually love cooking. I love new recipes and trying new food. But most the time, all I can think about is that I'll have to clean and wash everything I use, so I'd rather just order pizza and use paper plates.

4. I've read Pride and Prejudice once a year for the past 7-8 years. One year, I read it twice. The story just never gets old.

5. I have a complete irrational fear of potlucks. I hear the word and I get sweaty palms. Or get-togethers or company picnics where people say, "Oh, just bring a side dish." I panic. What am I supposed to make? What qualifies as a side dish? How much should I make? Will people even like this? What if someone else makes the exact same thing? I hate, hate, hate potlucks.

6. I have never had a pedicure. Except the ones I give myself. In fact, the only manicure I've ever had was for my wedding.

7. It's my dream to find a historic home, or an old farm house and restore it. I just love the thought process and the decision making. This idea, unfortunately, stressed Hubster out. Just fixing up our current home stresses him out. But me, I love it!

This award, I'm going to give to...

Liz at Eternal Lizdom
Kim at The Mommy Machine
Trina at Trinabug's Life
Megan at Twinsomnia
Melissa at Random Ramblings

Every one of the bloggers I mentioned are amazing bloggers. If you have a moment, stop by and say hello. I just can't get over what an amazing community this is, the unbelievable women that are part of it, and the fantastic friends that I've made.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the award! Your lists made me realize we have more in common than I knew!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool. Fun things you share, the awards, and fine people all around! Happy Day! How's that for efficient?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just finished a post giving you this versatile blogger award and came over here to find that you gave me the same award. Thank you!

    At home I can watch movies all night long, but anything at a theater past 5pm is just an expensive nap.

    Seriously, you've never had a pedicure? Girl, you are missing out! I'm getting one tomorrow!

    I make lists for everything...and spreadsheets...ooh I love spreadsheets.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, K! You just made my day . . . from one versatile blogger to another, THANK YOU : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so far behind on my blog reading that I just barely saw this. Thank you so much!

    I'm with you. I love, love, love getting awards, but I never pass them on.

    And my fear of potlucks is a bit different from yours. I'm a bit of a germophobe and I just don't trust that everyone has the same level of kitchen cleanliness that I do.

    ReplyDelete