Friday, October 5, 2012

Enjoying the Season

Every time the end of summer approaches, I work myself into a frenzy about how sad I am at the change of seasons.  Because summer ending can only mean one thing - that there is only one season between me and winter and I'm never sure if my bone marrow has sufficiently thawed out from the previous winter.


Then autumn descends, and I calm down (a little bit) and realize that I actually enjoy this season.  The slight dip in the temperatures give me an energy burst for bike rides and forest walks.  The fiery blush of color spreading through the tree branches is beautiful.  The daily change in the world is so different from the stable, comfort of daily green and sunshine of summer, but finds its own way to be peaceful and welcome.  And the excuse to eat soup.


I do continue to feel a certain amount of anxiety to get outside as much as possible.  Every time the boys groan as I push them off for another bike ride or a walk around the lake, I remind them that winter is coming and they won't be able to go outside for months, and that we must work on our vitamin D storage now.


This is what I need to work on.  I need to work on just enjoying the moment, for what the moment is worth, and not because of how much it will mean in the future, or because of how much I will regret it if I don't do it right now, or because I think it should mean or represent something so much more.


 I need to just enjoy fall for what it is:

-Walks around the lake (a pleasure obviously shared by wildlife)








-Color


-Gorgeous golden sunlight


-Another season spent with my beautiful family.


Yes, I'll admit that I still can't shake the thought that the glorious colored leaves covering the tree branches and ground will soon be replaced by snow, but for now, I'm going to enjoy the golden, changing days.


And eat soup.

4 comments:

  1. If it wasn't for the temperature in winter (I freeze at 70 degrees, no joke), I'd love to live in your neck of the woods.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous photos! I love the footprints especially. Thanks for your kind comment on my blog as well, and congrats on your soon-to-be new little one! I'm so far behind on my reading, I just now saw that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful pictures! I really like the ones with the lake!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I love fall, the fresher air, and glorious changes. It all just happens so fast, fall is not really a whole season like winter or summer, its a breath, like the yellow light before the signal turns red;--but it is time to bask. Love the pictures!

    ReplyDelete