Monday, June 4, 2012

Project 52: The Halfway Point

 I'm still wrapping my head around the fact that it is June.  And that a good portion of the year has been spent on the couch. 


Due to some pretty big changes around here, I decided that my Project 52 list also needed some pretty big changes. There are several things that it's just not going to be possible to do.  Here are the changes I have in mind...


14. Do the Couch-to-5K program: I had started doing this, and was 2 weeks in when I found out I was pregnant.  I had every intention of continuing to run (especially since I found this 5K I want to do so badly!) I continued to run for another week before morning sickness and fatigue took me out.  And honestly, pregnancy isn't a great time to be starting a new fitness program.  So instead, I'm replacing this with daily (or near daily) evening walks. I'm save the 5K for next year.

31. Plant a garden.  There is not going to be a garden.  There are tomatoes and basil in a pot on the back porch and that will have to be enough.  I don't need another project in my life. So growing tomatoes and herbs have replaced the goal of a big garden.

34. Volunteer at the school.  I don't see this happening this year.  I was at the peak of my fatigue when the school carnival happened, the usually event I volunteer for.  And when school starts pack up in the fall, there will be a lot of other things going on.  This goal is being replaced with getting a handle on all the boys' school papers.  I have boxes of them that need to be organized.

37. Write at least 10 blog posts a month. Ha, ha.  I've already failed at this.  2 posts during April: that's just pathetic, no matter how good the reason.  My goal is now going to be 5 posts a month.

43. Ride my bike to work at least 10 times.  When I mentioned that I still planned to ride my bike to work despite being pregnant, I was met with resistance from both Hubster and my friends. So this is a no-go.  However, I still love being on my bike.  So I'm replacing riding to work (and all the traffic and hills and early mornings and late evenings that this carries with it) with at least 5 family bike rides this summer (ones that are on nice smooth, car free paths.)

44. Visit family.  There is not going to be any big trip to go visit family this year.  My schedule doesn't allow it. So this goal is changed to convince family to come visit us.  I already have my sister here with me, we're hoping to get Hubster's mom out later this summer, and then use a new baby as argument to have a lot for company.

50. Sign the boys up for swimming lessons. I had every intention of doing this one.  I even sat down one evening, all ready to do it, only to find that I was too late and every swimming class for the next 10 years was booked. Instead, Bug is taking tennis lessons.   Monkey also wanted to take tennis lessons, but the age cut off was 5 and 10 months; Monkey was only 5 and 9 months, so there are no tennis lessons for him.  So instead of swimming lessons, we are going to try to go swimming as a family once a week.


When I looked over my list, and realized that it wasn't going to be possible to make all the goals I set in January, I initially started feeling like I had already failed.  But that's the beauty of this project.  It isn't set in stone.  Life changes, priorities change, and that's perfectly fine.  So instead of feeling bad, I just adjusted my goals in the direction my life has adjusted. 

4 comments:

  1. I think those are all reasonable changes! I'm still so excited for you.

    I haven't touched Project 52 since I wrote mine. Haven't even looked at it. I'm in denial of June.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You still have goals. Just different ones. And healthy babies and moms are more important than anything else.

    LisaDay

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's exactly right. Life changes and we just have to roll with it.

    And that new baby is going to be a family magnet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant success with adapting healthily.

    ReplyDelete